Unmarried couples

If you choose to live with your partner and decide not to get married, we can help you to protect your assets by drafting a cohabitation agreement or by working together to resolve any disputes that may arise if the relationship breaks down.

Contrary to popular belief, the concept of “common law marriage” does not exist within English law. The fact that you live with someone for years, does not mean you have any legal rights against them on separation. This remains the case unless you understood you would be entitled to share in property, if you jointly own anything together or, if you have a child together. In such circumstances, matters are much less straight forward and legal advice should be obtained from specialist family solicitors at the earliest opportunity.

How our cohabitation solicitors can help you:

Next Steps

Contact our family team for an initial, no obligation, consultation on 01732 747900 or family@warners.law

Meet the team

Cate Silvester


Matthew Aves

Partner, Family Mediator & Team Leader

Matthew Aves is an experienced litigator as well as being a trained mediator, with particular experience in handling cohabitee disputes and Schedule 1 Children Act applications. He is praised for his “strong, clear and thoughtful advice.”

Chambers & Partners, 2019

Thank you very much. Needless to say how much I do appreciate you for your understanding & dealing with the issue professionally.

A recent client

A client comments: "I experienced a high level of customer service throughout my dealings with the firm and any issues or problems I had were dealt with efficiently and expeditiously."

Chambers & Partners 2020