We have dedicated specialist property dispute lawyers that advise and act for a wide range of clients, from large property investors and developers to those with smaller portfolios.
When necessary, we engage similarly specialist barristers and other professionals. We can also draw on the specialist knowledge of our solicitors in the commercial property team.
Types of property litigation we specialise in:
Our property litigation team has extensive experience in serving landlords as well as tenants. We always seek to resolve disputes through negotiation and mediation instead of going through court proceedings which can be costly.
If you think you might be able to have a legal claim on land, we can advise you on the best course of action to take for your situation.
It’s important to seek legal advice with regards to co-ownership before acquiring a property. If you’re in a situation where this hasn’t been done and a dispute over ownership has arisen, our team can help you resolve it.
There are times when a buyer or seller will default on an agreement when you are expecting to move. There are certain remedies and penalties available in these situations and we can offer specialist advice.
This is a common form of residential property dispute and it can be quite stressful for the individuals involved as neighbours need to live beside each other. Our boundary dispute specialists have extensive experience advising clients in these matters.
Covenants and easements are ways of granting rights connected to certain properties while the title to the land is still retained. These rights can be acquired in numerous ways, which we can advise you further on.
We provide legal advice on liabilities arising from Japanese Knotweed, which is an invasive weed that can cause problems for developers and landowners, particularly when it crosses property boundaries.
Examples of recent work from our property litigation team:
- Advising a client in opposing the grant of a new commercial lease of a London property resulting in a five-day contested trial in Central London County Court
- Acting for a client in defended residential possession proceedings of a high-value property in west London on grounds of rent arrears. We were eventually able to obtain a possession order for our client
- Successfully evicting squatters from commercial property in south London owned by our client. A sale of the property was pending and we, therefore, acted swiftly to ensure this could complete on time
- Negotiating surrenders and obtaining vacant possession of commercial premises at a site that was subject to an option agreement with a developer
- Acting for a client of commercial premises occupied by unlawful sub-tenants
Court of appeal cases:
- Larkstore -v- Technotrade
- Rodway -v- Landy
- Montrose Court Holdings Ltd -v- Shamash