Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT)
Our solicitors based at Tonbridge and Sevenoaks are expertly placed to advise on Technology, Media Law and Telecommunications matters.
The team is recognised in Chambers & Partners UK under Information Technology (a specialist sector handled by the team) and in the Legal 500 under IT and Telecoms.
We have a broad and varied range of clients, not only local to us in the South East (in Kent, the other Home Counties and London) but also throughout the UK and internationally as well with the team often working on cross-border agreements, particularly between Europe and the USA and Canada as well as the Middle East.
Our media law clients include publishers of magazines and newspapers, advertising and design agencies, PR companies, platform operators, film and television producers and the odd celebrity.
Our technology law clients cover a broad range of industries from software and IT service providers to manufacturers of inventions and educational establishments.
On the telecoms side, our clients include a number of providers of connectivity and communication solutions and our clients are often contracting with and providing solutions to the larger platform and network operators and service providers and we deal frequently with intellectual property and information technology aspects of the telecoms sector.
Our specialist lawyers have extensive experience in advising on the following:
- eCommerce, Internet / website and online contracts, whether business to business or business to consumer
- regulatory compliance on areas such as data protection, privacy and consumer issues
- IT services and software licensing and reselling / distribution
- hardware and software development
- mobile app development
- linking and co-branding arrangements
- hosting and content management
- systems integration and other turnkey arrangements
- managed services, including facilities management
- competition and antitrust issues (both domestic and EC)
- strategic joint ventures
- technology transfers
- research and development for both academic and commercial collaborations
- merchandising and sponsorship
- publishing, photography, TV & film and music arrangements
- brand and reputation protection and management, including defamation (particularly trade libel)
- image rights
If there is an international or cross-border element, where there often is, we can work closely with local counsel to assist where necessary and, particularly, through our network of international lawyers, Alliance of Business Lawyers, we can procure the best contacts and expertise for you.
Our Technology, Media and Telecommunications practice area is related to our Intellectual Property practice area where there is often a considerable amount of crossover and Information Technology and Software is a specialist sector within the team.
- English Law Proves Decisive in Dispute Over Mexican Lease Guarantee London is the world's number one venue for international litigation and many cases are heard in England which relate to foreign contracts. In one such, the landlord of factory premises in Mexico has won permission to enforce in England and Wales...
- Massive Fine and Disqualification for Director Following Corporate Manslaughter Conviction The fact that the Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007 has real teeth has been illustrated by the announcement of a sixth prosecution under the Act. Mobile Sweepers Limited entered a plea of guilty to a charge of corporate...
- Building Firms Fined After Workers Injured in Floor Collapse According to the latest statistics compiled by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), workers in the construction industry are four times as likely to be killed at work compared with the average rate for other workers. In a recent case, two building firms...