Areas of Expertise
Michael McNally acts primarily on disputes involving the purchase, sale and loan of horses as well as advising on employment, personal injury and constitutional matters for clients such as hunts, equestrian bodies and racecourses. One source said: "He doesn't complicate issues more than necessary. He responds very quickly and his advice has always proved sound and to the point."
Chambers and Partners 2014
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Kent Law Society
- Tunbridge Wells, Tonbridge and District Law Society
- Country Land and Business Association
- Agricultural Law Association
- Organising examination out of the jurisdiction
- The Abolition of the Agricultural Wages Board
- A Well-Earned Retirement?
- Time to Let Sleeping Dogs Lie?
- Advice on how to buy a Horse
- A Happy Retirement
- Employment Law Update – South of England Show, June 2013
- Distance Selling – BETA Conference, October 2012
- 2012 – Present; Partner, Warners
- 2012 – Member of firm’s Management Board
- 1994 – 2011; Partner, Knights
- 1991 – 1994; Assistant Solicitor, Cripps Harries Hall
- 1991; Assistant Solicitor, Gilhams, London
- 1988 – 1991; Articled Clerk, Bristows, London
- Burge and another v. Haycock and another (2001) EWCA Civ 900.
- Court of Appeal: case decided that the scope of the tort of passing off could include elections/political activity (this is the leading case on this point).
- Cross v. Kirkby (2000) QBENF 99/0526/A2.
- Court of Appeal: clarified law of self defence and doctrine of ex turpi causa (this is one of the leading cases in these areas, especially in a civil context).
- Sawrij and others v. Lynx (helping abused animals) Ltd and others (1992).
- Court of Appeal: clarification of the circumstances in which enforcement can be stayed.
- Sawrij and others v. Lynx (helping abused animals) Ltd and others (1994).
- Court of Appeal: clarification of the circumstances in which a wasted costs order can be made.
- Brigden v. American Express Bank Ltd (2000) IRLR 94.
- High Court (QBD): applicability of Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977, to employment contracts.
- Michael regularly delivers seminars, particularly on employment law and liability under the Animals Act. Married with two children, he is a keen golfer, runner and trout and salmon fisherman and helps to run his local hunt supporters club.